Warranty Return Procedure
How to Obtain Limited Warranty Service
Eligible customers seeking services for Toshiba Storage Products covered under this Limited Warranty must first obtain a Return Material Authorization number ("RMA"), which is available by applying online or calling: 1-877-689-4899.
Warranty Support for Toshiba Portable External Hard Disk Drives can be obtained HERE.
Customer Serviceat (RMA)
RMA is available Monday-Friday (excluding holidays) 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. PST
The customer acknowledges that any product sent to Toshiba that is not covered by the Limited Warranty may be returned by collect freight.
Certain Toshiba Storage Products are supplied with a Product Manual, which contains information on unpacking, setup, installation, operation and maintenance. Careful reading of the manual will answer most of the technical questions the customer might have regarding the product. However, should additional technical assistance be required, please call:
Toshiba's Technical Support 510-651-6798
Technical Support is available Monday-Friday (excluding holidays) 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST. Before placing the call, please have readily available the Toshiba Storage Product model number, part number, serial number and proof of purchase, as well as a description of the problem experienced.
Technical Support personnel will assist the customer and working together try to correct the problem over the phone. To facilitate this, the purchaser may be asked to run some simple, self-diagnostic tests and report the resulting status and error code messages. This will assist Technical Support in determining if the problem is in the Toshiba Storage Product or the customer's system, equipment, or instrument on which it is being used and if the problem can be resolved over the phone.
If Technical Support determines the storage product is defective and the drive is covered under the Limited Warranty, you will be directed to contact the repair center at 1-877-689-4899 and an RMA number will be assigned, and repair or replacement procedures will follow. This number should be kept in case the status of the replacement product needs to be checked. The customer will be asked for the address where the replacement product is to be shipped.
Toshiba Hard Disk Drive Packaging Policy
The Toshiba Hard Disk Drive product consists of delicate mechanisms employing very fine engineering tolerances and electrically sensitive devices that can easily be damaged, hence due care is required during normal installation or removal as well as during transportation.
To safeguard against any damage that may unnecessarily invalidate your warranty claim while the product is in transit for warranty service, it is important that you adhere to the following instructions when returning the product.
- ESD Bags - Toshiba initially supplied the hard disk product in an anti-static bag to safeguard against electrostatic damage; please place each product in an anti-static bag when returning faulty product.
- Original Packaging - All products should be returned in the original shipping carton (if possible).
- Product Protection When the original carton is not available, the preferred method is the use of foam inserts to enclose the product completely on all surfaces with 2in or 5cm foam per surface.
- Alternatives - If foam inserts are not available, it is acceptable to use bubble wrap. Several layers of bubble wrap may have to be used to build up a minimum of 2in or 5cm wraps per surface.
- The product must be adequately supported on ALL sides and not placed loosely inside the carton.
- Information on Box – The RMA # must be clearly marked on the outside of the shipping carton.
Also: Customer / Contact Name, Return Address, Phone Number
- Poor Packaging - The use of padded postal bags, foam peanuts, paper or shredded paper packing filler material is strictly prohibited, as these will not support, stabilize or provide protection to the product while in transit and will invalidate the drive’s warranty.
- Labels - All extra labels or stickers that interfere with the Serial number or Part number Bar-Code must be removed. If the Bar code is not accessible or scan-able, this condition will invalidate the drive’s warranty.
- Extra Hardware - All mounting attachments, interface cables, or rails must be removed before the product is returned. If fitted, they will not be returned.
Toshiba is not responsible for product lost or damaged during shipment. All products being returned for Limited Warranty repair or replacement must be sent freight prepaid
Any delivered product that does not conform to this packaging policy will be rejected
To view examples of acceptable and not acceptable packing please click here.
Your co-operation in these matters will enable Toshiba to reduce the turn-around time for your warranty claim and will also provide Toshiba with better and more reliable failure information of the product, resulting in higher quality products and superior product support.
When returning the product for warranty please familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Limited Warranty, Warranty Exclusion’s, Returns and Packaging Policy, otherwise your warranty claim may be invalidated.
BY REQUESTING SERVICE, THE ELIGIBLE CUSTOMER ACKNOWLEDGES THE TERMS OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY PROVISIONS. PRIOR TO SEEKING SERVICE, THE END USER MUST BACK-UP ANY DATA OR FILES THAT MAY BECOME DAMAGED OR LOST. TOSHIBA IS, WITHOUT LIMITATION, NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR DAMAGED DATA OR FILES.
TOSHIBA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME AND WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE ANY OF ITS SERVICE PROGRAMS OR SERVICE METHODS.